We are delighted to be able to announce that we are now looking to recruit a new featured columnist to our team of writers. As a featured columnist, you will produce two print-ready articles, of various lengths, on different topics, to tight deadlines, four times per year. These articles will then be printed and read by thousands of subscribers who buy our magazine across the world. This is a non-paying position; however you will receive a free subscription to the Calling Spots fanzine and are likely to receive free merchandise (such as t-shirts, buttons, etc) as and when we make them. More importantly however, you will have the opportunity to build your portfolio of work, along with the distinction of having your work published in a growing printed publication.
Our fanzine is written in a certain style and, although we want to ensure that you will “fit” in with that, we are looking for individuals who have something different to say.
We are lucky enough to get frequent emails from budding writers asking to join our team, which is why we have decided to make this a formal opportunity. If you would like a chance to join our team as the fanzine continues to grow, please send an email to CallingSpots@gmail.com with the following information:
- Your name
- What wrestling products you watch/attend currently and historically
- Your writing experience – wrestling related or not, what published work do you have in your portfolio?
- Your favourite article from our fanzine so far – in no more than 150 words, tell us which article from which of our magazines you most enjoyed and why. Unless extremely exceptional circumstances, we are only looking to offer this opportunity to somebody who enjoys what we do and has read our ‘zines.
- Example work – Please write us a short article (300 words). It can be about anything wrestling related. We will be looking to gauge your suitability for the role based on; your writing style, what subject matter you use, your humour, the sources you use to bring facts to your work, your use of correct grammar and your ability to work within word limits.
- What you can bring to the role – in a few lines tell us about why you are absolutely the person who will make our magazine even better, giving our paying customers value for their hard earned money. You may want to think about; what extra skills can you offer? How will you use social media to spread the word of Calling Spots? What can you bring to the table to increase our volume of readers? How will you go about obtaining interviews for the ‘zine?
We are a tightly knit team here, so the successful applicant will share our passion for providing wrestling fans with something different and something fun. If this is you, get in touch.
Good luck – Richard Penaluna, Editor-in-chief